Monday, January 14, 2008

Just a quick note...

Really it is more of a pity party for me! I would never have believed that this pregnancy would be kicking my butt like it is right now. I think the first trimester is like childbirth...you block the memory or else everyone would be an only child! Symptoms...well let's see...there is the morning sickness that seems to last ALL DAY. I was able for a couple of weeks to at least count a few hours in the morning as "good", but now not even that is sacred. I have officially lost weight instead of gaining (not something I would ever have imagined to be a "bad" thing...except in pregnancy).

There is also this weird thing that no one really talks about, but it actually has a name- Dysgeusia. It is the odd and very gross metallic taste that most women experience in the first trimester. I feel like I have been walking around sucking on pennies. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

The exhaustion is still pretty bad. I remember being pregnant with Anderson and teaching until 3:00 only to come home and completely crash. Somehow, Anderson never leaves at 3:00! HA!! ..and I thought 12th graders wore me out. On most nights I could go to bed at 7:30, but the few times I have actually done that have sort of backfired. I then wake up at around 3:00 and feel like it's time to start my day...so I try to stick it out until at least 8:30 or 9:00.

The food thing is completely strange to me. With Anderson all I craved was red sauce, pastas, tomatoes, and starches. This baby has its own little preferences... SWEETS! I have never been a sweet eater. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-sweets. However, I have always chosen to spend my extra calorie splurges on things involving bread and cheese. I dare say...gulp...I don't even like chocolate. That's right, I said it...I don't. My husband thinks this qualifies me as unamerican and certainly un-girl! All I want lately is sweets and chocolate. I rarely keep sweets in the house, so Jeff laughed uncontrollably when I made a Britney-esque pit stop at a gas station yesterday during an errand and came back with rice krispie treats and strawberry iced pop-tarts. He thought I was kidding when I told him that was what I was going in for! It is so bizarre for my body to crave something so desperately that wasn't all that appealing just a couple of months ago. And yes...I have been told that this means we are having a girl. I'll believe it when I see it!

I am so ready to rejoin the land of the living. Hopefully in 2 more weeks with the end of my first trimester some of these nasty side effects will begin to subside! I do have to give a little shout out to my hubby. He has been such a help these last few weeks with dishes, dinner, laundry, Anderson, etc... and as always he does it with a cheerful heart. I am lucky to have him!

1 comments:

The Banta's said...

I just wanted to tell you guys congrats! That is exciting to have another on the way and I hope to be joining that list soon! Tell Jeff I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I ate chocolate everyday when I was pregnant with Christian! Take care!