Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Fun Weekend

We started off our weekend with a family outing to my husband's favorite place on earth...Sam's! Friday night we loaded up and bought bulk...diapers, chicken, nutriagrain bars, etc... I love the prices, but really what does one do with laundry detergent that won't even fit into the cabinet because it's a gazillion gallons! Ha!
Oh well, we saved a lot of money and bought lots of chicken and lettuce. That should help with two of our resolutions: better fiscal and physical fitness.

Saturday, I took Anderson to a birthday party of a friend from school. It was a lot of fun for both of us. Ball Pitts, bouncy houses and slides galore! We have been going to tons of birthday parties, but they have really been for my friends children even though Anderson didn't actually know the child all that well. We always have fun, but there was just something really sweet about watching him interact with his actual friends from school at this particular party! It also gave us parents a chance to really talk and meet for more than 5 seconds when picking up and dropping off.

On a side note...We have had a horrible tragedy within the preschool this week. One of the little boys from the four year old class lost his father Tuesday night completely unexpectedly. The father's name was Brad Carpenter and he leaves behind a wife, Karen and two sons (one 4 yrs and one around 7 I think). Brad was only 33 and passed out, was taken to the hospital where he stabilized and was being held I guess for monitoring. He sent his wife home to tuck in the kids and get the babysitter set for the next day and he passed away while she was home. Can you imagine? My heart breaks for this woman. I ask that those of you that can, please remember her and the boys in your prayers. They certainly need a peace that passes all understanding right now. Many of you may remember my friend Beth whose husband passed away at that same age and also quite unexpectedly while she was pregnant with their first child. It feels like deja vu to hear such a similar story of such a young and obviously loved family man. It just shows us how quickly things in this life can change. It made me hug on my family a little harder this week.

Sunday morning, I headed to First Presbyterian to watch as my Aunt was ordained as a deacon. My nephew John was also supposed to serve as acolyte, but bless his heart turned absolutely green right before the service. He was so sick. He ended up having to have my step- sister Erin take him back home. It was nice to see most of my family all on one pew. The service was quite different from what we are used to on Sunday...there was no multi-media or contemporary worship songs. I even sang out of a hymnal for the first time in about 4 years! I have to say I felt like a fish out of water!! But this was a church I have wonderfully close ties to. I attended often as a single gal when I would travel home for visits, and it was in a Sunday school room there where the first mention of a blind date with my now husband occurred! Charlie, the pastor even married us. It was so nice to chat with him briefly this morning. Watching DeLane be ordained and taking part in Communion with my family was a great way to spend the morning!

Laughing uncontrollably on the couch!

Sweet smiles!
I had to put this one on here- it looks like Anderson is throwing a gang sign!

And my all time favorite...check out their faces! Anderson looks disgusted and Lydia looks like she's totally up to something!

Then Auntie M came in to town for a dinner meeting with a friend and decided to come early to see the kiddos. Of course Anderson just lit up when she arrived after his nap. Lydia also gave lots of gummy smiles. It's so nice to have her closer to home now...one sister down and another to go. Jennifer- Tampa is too far away from my babies!! Come home now!! Ummm... I mean no pressure or anything! :-)

2 comments:

Melissa Echols said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend who lost her husband and best friend. That is so awful! I will definitely keep them in my thoughts and prayers!

Mizerany Family said...

Wow, almost 6 mos....hard to believe.