Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend






We had a very busy and productive long weekend here at the Smith House. Jeff and I often joke that our never ending to-do list will clog up all of our weekends until we are in our 60's and to old to have home projects! HA! Jeff took the day off on Friday, which was Anderson's last day of Mom's Morning Out for two more weeks when the summer term starts. I told Jeff if he really wanted to knock it out and get stuff done that was our last chance without a two year old in tow. He took my advice to heart and worked all day, along with me, on the nursery and Anderson's big boy room.



We purchased Anderson's furniture several weeks ago after much research and debating on my part. Call it nesting...call it type A...whatever...I was so stressed and overwhelmed with all of the options for furniture, decor, and bedding. I finally decided on a zoo/safari type theme for his room because he LOVES animals. I think we have a future zoo-ologist on our hands!I didn't want the theme to be over the top, but I did want his room to be uniquely his and suited to his interests. I hope he will lay in bed many a night mesmerized by all of the animals in his room! As for the furniture we chose a twin bed due to the smaller size of the room. However, I was able to find the perfect bed with a pull out trundle and two drawers for storage in the base. I think this will give us options for when we start having spend the night company in a few years.

I also handmade a lot of the items in his room. I couldn't find a lot of safari stuff in lighter brighter colors, so I just made a lot of it myself. The canvases above his bed are in poster frames and literally nail gunned (thanks Jeff!) to the wall so that he can't really mess with them. The letters above his headboard are also nailed in. What can I say...we know our son...and we know that if they were simply hung it would be a disaster! I also made a photo collage on one wall after seeing a website that sold them for $150.00....I was like...no way! I can soooo do that myself. It is finished all except for the blank space in the middle where I'll be putting a Dr. Suess quote. I think it turned out quite well and very much less than $150.00!



I still have to get a bamboo blind and a navy valance for the window, but other than that we are done! Now on to the nursery!! He will begin sleeping in it in a couple of weeks after our beach trip. I am sure the transistion to a big boy bed will be a blog worthy adventure, so stay tuned!

3 comments:

The James Family said...

Happy Birthday Lindsey! Yes, my birthday is also May 29th. To help you feel a little better, Marty has been in the 30 decade for a few years now and he says it's not too bad. :) I hope you had a blessed birthday! We have to get together soon!

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

The room looks precious!

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

Forgot to encourage you by mentioning that Park is actually sleeping BETTER in his big boy bed. I haven't blogged about it yet, but we transitioned him into bunk beds about 3 months ago and I was pleasantly surprised by how much better he slept after being able to stretch out. Hope it works the same way for Anderson.